Authentic Events in Wytheville Offer Authentic Experiences
Wytheville has a variety of attractions and outdoor recreation opportunities for people of all ages to enjoy. But, a great way to truly see the flavor and authenticity of the area is through the many festivals and special events that are held throughout the year. The activities mentioned below fill the spring, summer, and fall with a wealth of interesting, enjoyable, and educational opportunities for the entire family.
This eight-day event has an over 25 year history of providing entertainment. All events are free and held in the center of Wytheville throughout the day and into the evening. There’s crafts and classes, art displays and food, and every evening ends with multiple bands in the open air atmosphere of a beautiful public park.
Besides this multi-day festival, there are many special or series events that are held at attractions and parks throughout the area.
Beagle Ridge Herb Farm and Flying Flowers
This attraction includes a two-acre herb display garden, a walk-through butterfly house, four and a half miles of nature trails, acres and acres of beautiful property and the new Serendipity, a special event building. From spring to fall, Beagle Ridge holds a variety of public special events including Lavender Thyme in June, Monarch Tagging in September, and Garlic Thyme in October.
Big Walker Lookout and BW Country Store
As one of the oldest privately operated tourism attractions in Virginia, Big Walker Lookout/BW Country Store is a natural and man-made attraction and store located on a National Forest Scenic Byway just a few minutes from Wytheville. Showcasing the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains, as their motto says “Only the Birds See More” from atop the 100 foot observation tower that was built over 60 years ago. As a member of ‘Round the Mountain artisans group and an affiliate location of the Crooked Road Music Trail, Big Walker has embraced holding special events to add variety to their venue. From May through October, each Saturday and Sunday, they host a variety of artisans and musicians who bring an authentic experience to the area.
New River Trail State Park
As one of the most visited state parks in Virginia, the New River Trail State Park is a cornerstone of outdoor recreation in Southwest Virginia. Throughout the year, this facility holds a variety of programs and special events. Held in September, the New River Challenge has become Virginia’s premier long-distance triathlon.The challenge has a 40-mile bike ride, 12-mile kayak leg and half marathon along southwestern Virginia’s 57-mile-long New River Trail. Participants can either choose to compete solo or in teams of two or three.
West Wind Farm Vineyard & Winery
Located on a beautiful family farm, West Wind has many ongoing events throughout the year, these include “Café Saturdays” with musical entertainment during lunchtime as well as their popular summer concert series that runs from June to October. Both of these events showcase local and regional music as well as homegrown and home-crafted wines.
Wohlfahrt Haus Dinner Theatre
Every eight weeks, a new Broadway-caliber production graces the stage. Following a four-course meal, Wohlfahrt Haus presents musicals that showcase many different types of music from classic to contemporary as well as feature huge production numbers with unforgettable dancing. These family-friendly productions are presented in matinee and evening times throughout the entire year.
All About Variety
Here is a sampling of some of the different festivals and events you can find in the Wytheville area.
- On Stage – Wohlfahrt Haus Dinner Theatre – new show every six-eight weeks, 2014: Live musical theater, food/beverages
- Café Saturdays – West Wind Farm Vineyard and Winery – Every Saturday, 2014: Live music, food, wine
- Music at The Mansion – The Mansion at Fort Chiswell – Every Saturday, 2014: Live music, food, mansion tours
- Jams at the Matterhorn Lounge – Wohlfahrt Haus Dinner Theatre – seasonally, May-October: Live music, food/beverages
- Bluegrass and Old-time Jamboree – Wytheville Community College – Monthly, Third Saturday, 2014: Live music Mountain Top Music – Big Walker Lookout/BW Country Store – Every Saturday and Sunday, May-October, 2014: Local/regional musicians History Comes Alive! – Big Walker Lookout/BW Country Store - Every Saturday and Sunday, May-October, 2014: Local/regional artisans, authors, historians, or other demonstrators showcasing the authentic heritage of the region
- After Hours Concert Series – Town of Wytheville, Withers Park – First Friday, July-September 2014: Live music, food, beer/wine, children’s activities
- Summer Saturday Concert Series – West Wind Farm Vineyard and Winery - First Saturday of June-October, 2014: Live music, food, wine
Once a Year Events/Festivals
- Chautauqua Festival – Wythe Arts Council – All day - June 21-28, 2014: Live music, arts, workshops, vendors, food
- Lavender Thyme Celebration – Beagle Ridge Herb Farm – June 21, 2014: Workshops, lectures, food
- Monarch Tagging/Migration Day – Beagle Ridge Herb Farm – Second Saturday in September, 2014: Workshops, lectures, hands-on event for children
- New River Challenge – New River Trail State Park – September 2014: Triathlon
- Downtown Wytheville Festival/Cruise-In – Downtown Revitalization – September 2014: Live music, class/antique car cruise-in, children’s activities, vendors, food, beer/wine garden
- Haunted Graham Mansion – Fridays and Saturdays, September 26-November 8, 2014: Haunted house and trails, music, food
- Garlic Thyme Celebration – Beagle Ridge Herb Farm – October 4, 2014: Workshops, lectures, food
- Seed to the Soul Festival – The Mansion at Fort Chiswell – October 4, 2014: Live music, demonstrations, children’s activities, food
- Festival of Leaves – Bland County – October 11-12, 2014: Live music, hayrides, demonstrations, children’s activities, exhibits, crafts, food
- Fall Festival – Williams Orchard – Weekends in October, 2014: Corn maze, hayrides, pumpkin patch, games for the kids
Comments & Ratings